Saturday, October 20, 2007

GOLDEN COLLECTION

1: Dost dost naa raha........


one of the greatest compositions, i wonder why this song has always been the butt of friendly raillery for ages now. I heard the song recently and i had goose bumps all over me right from the start when Raj Kapoor starts playing the piano. Though nasal, but Hemant Kumar has a distinct style of his own and i place him along with Rafi, who have carved a niche for themselves in the melancholic department of life. I have not seen this movie( Sangam )but the way the song has been picturised, i dont think anyone can ameliorate on it. Kudos to the director ( Raj Kapoor i think ). The video is entirely focussed on the facial expressions which clearly surfaces the guilt of the heart in an inexplicable manner. Just listen to the antara and i guarantee you will fall in love with this song. It clearly elucidates the agony, pain, and hurt one goes through, during contretemps caused by friends and loved ones. I was so enraptured by the lyrics that i kept playing it over and over again till my mother got suspicious and she started to imagine me in the shoes of Raj Kapoor. This is probably the first of its kind where the composer has romanticised betrayal. The lyrics leave a lump in the throat if one fully connects with the song, but the romantic undertones help us enjoy the song for the sheer perfection in all departments-------singing, lyrics, composition, or the picturisation.



2:(a) Aapki aankhon mein kuch..........

Though its difficult for me to pick up my favorite in the romantic genre from a cornucopia of songs that Bollywood has churned out over the ages, but i can count on this song and it always tops my ' now playing ' list. Its one of R.D's sweetest composition, and every time i hear this song it transcends me into new states of ecstasy and radiant happiness, filling my heart with new found loveliness. It makes you fall in love with love itself, and if you are in love then its just the icing on the cake. The lyrics abound with hyperbolic expressions and sweet nothings that guys use to woo their beloved. If you are a good singer, then there's no better song to express your love, and if you are not then gift a CD of this song along with some others and just watch the magic. Gosh! Kishore Kumar! you are blessed enough to sing such a song. I am yet to watch the video, hence when ever i hear it, the image of kishore singing it starts playing in front of my eyes and my respect for him deepens.Though its a duet but somehow Kishore's voice over-shadows Lata's. Well its from the movie called Ghar.

(b) Roz roz aankhon tale..............

I think RD is the Midas of the music industry. Every song of his is worthy enough to be a part of the golden collection of Hindi songs, and roz roz is one of those songs which would be continually playing in the confines of my brain even if its not playing on the real player. I first read about this song on Guruji's blog ( about whom i would be writing shortly ), and i am thankful to him for making me a part of the comfort, and soothing melody that the song endows on its listeners. Now, i am a hopeless romantic and sometimes when i listen to this song, i strike off the lights especially at nights and i try to romanticize the ambience. You might think that i am exaggerating but my complex mind never gives me a satisfactory answer as to why i do this. Sometimes my mind goes completely blank listening to this song,and what thoughts cross my mind becomes difficult for me to comprehend. God! i cant write any further, except that it is sung by Asha and Yesudas. Its from the movie Jeeva.

(c) Jab deep jale aana..................

I enjoy this song as much as the above two. The song is based on raag kalyan ( i think ), and its the aalaap of the song that i cherish the most. Songs like this have become extinct today, and its one of the few songs that fills me with regret. I wish i had some more knowledge of music, so that i could have atleast made a futile attempt of singing the song. I wonder why Yesudas has sung such few songs. I am sure, had this voice been further utilised and explored, then Yesudas today would have been ranked with the likes of Kishore and Rafi. How could a classic barritone, slip into oblivion so easily? I find his songs much more soulful than anybody else's and are filled with a tremendous amount of humility and devotion.


Well there are many other masterpieces on my playlist about whom i would be writing shortly. I am typing while listening to these songs and I am trying to catch my thoughts at the same time. So its getting quite cumbersome and i dont want to destroy the charm of these songs by typing fudge. So its better i sign off.

4 comments:

kcp said...

boss !! kahaan kho gaye aap ?

Roz Roz Aankhon Tale - male voice is of Amit Kumar !!

Deepika said...

Thanx for leavin a comment, but do i know u?
n why r u not sharin ur profile?
anywayz thanx a tonne 4 sharin that piece of info

Sepiamniac said...

deeps... it is mukesh who sings dost dost an raha :))

Deepika said...

omg Jan, i hardly have a memory writing this one and yes, yes how foolish to write it was hemant kumar and imagine writing more and more about it, lol :D
but i was too new to music back then, and too puerile on blogosphere as well, i mean look at the writing, how crap!
now i'm holding my ears, sorry for writing hemant kumar :)