Wednesday, March 4, 2009

.......

I’m no creative writer but this post reminded me of something in that regard!


It has been a long time, but A it was I think who suggested this notion of dreams and creativity being proportional to each other. An ill-read person that I was back then couldn’t contribute much except a lame notion of creativity being directly proportional only to one’s leisure and everything else being secondary. But his words did make sense to me albeit much later in life. And since I consider myself a better reporter of the ideas of other people than expounder of my own, here’s an altered account of the conversation we had some five years back!


A: ‘I wonder what sort of dreams might be coming to him.(him referring to Richard Bach, A was on a high after reading Illusions.) How could he write a book like this!’

Me: ‘what have dreams got to do with writing a book, yaar?’

A: ‘you know it is generally believed that most writers create their characters in dreams.’

Me: ‘huh…you mean to say that people plan their dreams….that’s an absurd philosophy.’

A: ‘yeah, it sounds absurd but I had read somewhere that the degree of the soul’s creativeness in sleep is much higher than the quantum of creative faculty resident in the same soul when it is waking.’

Me: ‘well you could be wide awake and still be dreaming…’

A: ‘but, dreams still remain the common denominator of creativity.’


But, if characters are indeed a copy of the mind’s conceptions in sleep-then what a copy it indeed is! The mere thought of creating a word-mass, assigning a name, sex and plausible gestures to it, taming it, and clothing it with the attributes of flesh and blood, gives me a high that no intoxicants ever could!


I wish I had a creative faculty rich enough to do the above mentioned things. I would have created a perfect man for myself, who would’ve entertained me all night with the manifestation of some wild and magnificent thoughts. Gosh, the mere thought of it, makes me prone to strange whisperings at my ear. In spite of that, all I’m capable of documenting are the shifting mutations of my ever rambling dreams.


I’m yet to have that “fine dream” which people keep talking about. Who knows I might get lucky tonight!


Catch ya later guys!


Now Playing:: Kya yahi pyaar hai…………..Rocky

2 comments:

Abhishek said...

i totally buy ur idea of creativity being proprtionl 2 leisure.....it sounds much rational......

Debasish Patra said...

I s'pose Illusions can make all of us 'high'.

and bout Dreams, well I dunno wat they r bout.btw u had a nice lil insight.

:)