Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Confessions of a Charlatan

I am a good talker. I love to hear the sound of my own voice, its pleasant music............to me, the talker. So its not amazing, how i foxtrotted into this world of sham and mendacity. The worst of it was that in spite of this knowledge of my degeneration, i continued to behave as before. I continued to lie and sham. And thats coz i could not quell this desire of reading hands...........those knotted fingers, the thumb, those sinuous and winding life, head, and heart lines..........exposing a bewildering world of its own...........stirring an ineluctable feeling to get lost in those alleys of complicated mechanisms.


I wasnt doing all this just to get popular or become the nucleus of attention. There was something in the way that people started admiring me. They came to me for my advice and opinions because they believed that i knew more than they did. They asked for my help in finding the solutions to their problems thinking that i am wiser than they are. People saw in me a person who knew everything about something, while all the time i was just a less advanced life form trying to know something about everything. We got our perspectives badly mixed.


People would always ask the same vexing question, " What does the future hold for me?" My success in answering this question depended heavily on my opening words, as the consideration that they would give me to what i say later would be based on their first impression. I dont think i ever lied to them but i dont think i made them conversant with the truth either. I carefully constructed my sentences with phrases and tried to manipulate their mental processes with the limited amount of knowledge that was there at my disposal. I felt strange when people actually started to believe me when all i was trying to do was base my predictions by just looking at their fingers, and some lines which help in deducing certain aspects of the personality.


After all these years of my so called ' practise ', i can say that most of the human problems seem to originate in the mind. So the greatest benefit that i could impart to anyone was FAITH. Most of us find our lives in a pool of shambles because of the unsuspected defects within ourselves. The only thing that i did was, i tried to implant a certain degree of faith in people who placed their hands before me; faith in themselves, in their abilities and in their strength to overcome dangers and defects residing within themselves.


Some months back i told a friend of mine after reading his hands that he would surely get a job this year. He was running low on confidence, and this being his final year, i did not want to deny him of 'hope'. Yesterday he called me up to drop the tidings of his placement in TCS.

SPEECHLESS!!!!!

Hence these confessions!!

Maybe it is better to dwell like an ignoramus than constantly be on tenterhooks by being a charlatan.

Now Playing:: Hoshwalon ko khabar kya................Jagjit Singh

No comments: