Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Phir Wohi Raat Hai

There are times when little phrases of a sonata can mean everything to a listener and there are times when it means nothing and is forgotten. Had I heard R D Burman any less, my mind might have become warped and rigid, as from want of space. Had I heard him too much, my thoughts would have exhausted upon too many points, and would thus have been so perplexed and harassed that its outcome would have hardly exceeded a negative value. My daily dosage of Burman couldn’t have been more accurate than what it has been for almost three years now.


It all began with this song, ‘phir wohi raat hai’. I remember somebody singing it, and there was something in the words and music which made me fall for it. That night there was a google search and the rest as they say is history. Over the years as I kept losing myself in some of RD’s finest compositions, the song that began it all paled into insignificance. Until today, when a chance tumbling into a long forgotten folder revealed this treasure. Harkening to it with eyes closed, brought back sensations similar to those originated a few years back. Its amazing that his compositions continue to affect me in the same degree and manner as they did on the first hearing. Maybe that is what is called as ‘magic’.


And it’s the growing power of the ‘magic’ which I fear the most. Therefore, I’ve decided to rest RD for a while, at least till I gather my scattered wits, which keep winding and turning and make me weary of following its mazy movements. Its time to give the earth little tilts and let the spotlight fall on songs which would check my imagination from sinking and floundering. Can there be a better choice than Shammi Kapoor then? Let the yahoooo begin……..


Now Playing:: Tumse acha kaun hai……………Rafi

4 comments:

onelife said...

"its time 2 giv d earth lil tilts"............nothin cud hv described shammi bettr than dat...

Abhishek said...

i nvr actually got 2 thank u 4 dat wonderful collection of burman songs:-)

ur passion 4 dis one can b vry infectious

but u shud hv linked dis song, but i got it nyway

Debasish Patra said...

Songs relly have this magic..wich is JUST magic!

Deepika said...

@ onelife

ya i found nuthin else 2 describe dat man:)

@ abhishek

d pleasure is all mine ;)

@ debasish

magic......hmm......dat actually reminds me of sleepless in seatle